Monday, June 19, 2006

Shooting: Special Forces & Other


Some of the shooters are current military personnel. Below, striking a classic operator pose, is Shxxx, who was shooting in my squad. He and I were both shooting Production (and he finished just ahead of me, dang), but whereas I had replaced the sights and made some internal modifications to my Glock, he was shooting a stock-issue Beretta that he grabbed out of the gun rack with some borrowed magazines.
Operator Shxxx---picture supressed

We sure had a good time talking with Shxxx at the awards ceremony and bought him a few beers.

Here's an action shot of him taking a head shot before running the zig-zag. He and I shot virtually the same score on this stage, except he missed a target. However, with the ten seconds he had on me, he had time to unsling his M4 while I was figuring out where to go next.

Taking the shot---picture supressed again

Above is Shxxx at the start, shooting at the target he missed (I was the taper), but he looks really cool. Sometimes just keeping their heads down will do the job if you're fast enough---and he is. Shxxx pointed out that when he pulls out his pistol doing his day job, the world's about to end anyway.


Travis: a full-time member of the Army Pistol Team waiting for the Bus to Perdition

I saw Travis miss a few too, but he eventually got them. He's so fast, he shot 5 times at a steel popper that he was having trouble with in the same time I could get one shot off in. He was the Open class champion with the overall point lead of the tournament. So join the Army and shoot full time---if you're good enough.

In the pic above, Travis is waiting for a bus, which turns out to be full of bad guys. It's only going to take him about 10 and a half seconds to get 126 out of 130 available points. Unless you've seen these Grand Masters in person, it's hard to even imagine what shooting like that looks like.

No comments: