Monday, June 05, 2006

Drinking Beer: Cirque D-Bock

In the twilight of our microbrewery---before the Gotterdammerung--- I made a light-colored doppelbock of about 10 percent alcohol by volume. I lagered it in used merlot barrels that I'd burned all the tartrates out of with hot water. So there was no color added only mild oak flavor. I dry hopped in the barrel with Hallertau Mittelfruh. That was in 1999.

Because of the high alcohol and moderate hoppyness, it is the only beer from our brewery that is still in its element. I had some tonight, and it is still great---seven years on and better than the day we released it.

Someday it too will be no more, but it won't fall to a sell-by date. No it will go down swigging. While there are still those of us who remember it, beauty shall never truly perish from this world.

No comments: