Thursday, June 29, 2006

Making Wine: Chateau Hopgoddess


Wine evaporates from the barrel (and not just from the mice stealing sips) and has to be topped up. Today, before topping, I pulled some samples for tasting. I have 3 barrels: 2003 Syrah, 2004 Merlot, and 2004 Merlot. The Syrah has an outrageous flowery smell, but is otherwise very tasty to me. Eventually, I'll need to seek a professional opinion. I think the volatile acidity is way too high, so it's a good thing that I don't have to try and sell it. The merlots taste pretty merloty. I think all the wine will be ready to bottle before harvest. That means getting organized for the 2006 crush.

All three of my barrels are different. One is all French Oak, but pretty old so I spike it with oak chips. One is American Oak staves and French Oak Heads. One is all American Oak (before using it for the merlot in 2004, I made a chardonnay in it when it was spanking new).

The old French Oak barrel may be moved to beer production (oak-aged doppelbock). That means I'll be needing a ton of grapes.

I'm thirsty.

No comments: