Sunday, November 26, 2006

Time Out

As part of my moving towards 3-Gun or Multi-Gun shooting as part off my USPSA/IPSC hobby, I'm putting together a rifle.

I'm going for the Tactical division which lets me have one optic on the rifle, a shotgun with up to 8 shells in the magazine and a Limited class pistol. The rifle was the final component. Here's what I decided to start with:

Da rifle is a Bushmaster Varminter. Yes, I'm more concerned with my long distance shots than close in. So I've gone with a 24 inch barrel. I might add a compensator, but I want to try one with and without side by side before I add one. Yes it's a poodle-shooter .223, but I don't reload and I don't think I could afford to practice much with 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendal or 308 Win. I suppose once I got the lower shooting right I could add a 6.5 Grendal upper...and a long-distance scope. Hmmm, sweeeeet.

The rifle has a competition grip and trigger. I might want to add a JP trigger later, but for now I have a two-stage Bushmaster one.

The scope is a Leupold VX II 1-4x. I like the 1x cause I can keep both eyes open. Hopefully, this will translate into relatively fast close-in shots. I hope the 4x is ok for the 300 yard shots. I know it's mainly the shooter and not the scope...yeah well, maybe that's what I'm afraid of.

Oh well, I haven't been the worst one yet with a borrowed rifle. Maybe I can hide out in the middle for a while until I know what I'm doing.

I'm supposed to get two days off from work this week, so I can put it together---before I clean out the garage to get both cars in.

No comments: